Chocolate Mince Pies
280 g/10 oz plain flour
125 g/4½ oz icing sugar
50 g/2 oz cocoa powder
200 g/ 7oz cold butter, diced
2 egg yolks
500 g/1 lb 2 oz ready-made mincemeat
Juice and zest of an orange
100 g/4 oz chocolate callets
½ tsp allspice
1. Sift and mix the flour, icing sugar, cocoa powder and salt together in a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Mix in the egg until the mixture comes together. Add a little water if necessary. Knead into a disc, wrap in cling film and place in fridge for 40 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
4. Mix the mincemeat, orange zest and juice, allspice and chocolate callets together in a bowl.
5. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick, cut out 11cm-diameter rounds with a pastry cutter, then cut out the same number of small stars as there are large rounds.
6. Line muffin tins with rounds and add a large tsp of the mincemeat chocolate mixture. Top with a star. Brush the top with beaten egg.
7. Bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked through.
50 Shades of Chocolate – bringing chocolate and good cheer to you this Christmas!